In North Dakota, a person may not act as a real estate salesperson or advertise or assume to act as a real estate salesperson without a license issued by the Real Estate Commission. The following provides general licensing information for real estate salespersons.
- Applicant must be 18 years of age or older.
- Applicants for a real estate license must possess a good reputation for competency, honesty, truthfulness, financial integrity and fair dealing. Applicants who believe their background may disqualify them from obtaining a real estate license should consider submitting an application PRIOR TO taking a pre-licensing education course. (Please read the application carefully). To obtain a North Dakota real estate license all applicants must submit $8.00 with their application for a credit report.
- Each licensee applying for a real estate salesperson license must complete the Criminal History Record Check Request form (SFN 60688).
Criminal background check:
Each licensee applying for a real estate salesperson license must complete and submit the Criminal History Record Check Request form (SFN 60688) with the Salesperson License Application.
After a Salesperson License Application, fees, and the Criminal History Record Check Request has been received by the NDREC office, a Fingerprinting Kit will be mailed to you, including:
- (2) Fingerprint Cards
- Tamperproof seal
- List of Possible Locations Offering Fingerprinting
Upon getting fingerprinted you will need to mail the following back to the NDREC office:
- Completed Fingerprinting cards.
- Check or Money Order for $41.25 made out to the ND Attorney General
- At least 45 hours of pre-licensing education in courses of study approved by the Commission.
- An applicant for a salesperson's license may take the examination prior to fulfillment of the pre-licensing education requirement however the Commission may not issue a salesperson's license to an applicant until certification of the completion of the pre-licensing education is provided.
- Within 1 year after initial licensure as a salesperson, the salesperson's broker must furnish certification that the salesperson has successfully completed 15 hours of post-licensure hours.
- $100 application fee.
- $100 annual renewal fee (real estate licenses expire December 31st of each year unless renewed).
Effective immediately: To obtain a North Dakota real estate license all applicants must submit $8.00 with their application for a credit report.
- Approved applicants will be provided a letter of approval containing their test ID number. Once received, they may contact AMP to schedule a time to take the examination.
- Applied Measurement Professionals (AMP) administers the license examination at locations in Bismarck and Fargo. Further information: www.goAMP.com
Errors & Omissions Insurance:
North Dakota requires all active licensees to carry errors and omission insurance, proof of which must be provided to the Commission office prior to the issuance of a real estate license.
Education, Research & Recovery Fund:
Any person who is licensed for the first time is required to pay $20 into the Education, Research & Recovery Fund at the time of licensing. This fee is paid by the licensee only once.
Pre-Licensing Education Providers:
Classroom Pre-Licensing Course Providers
Online Pre-Licensing Course Providers