In North Dakota a person may not act as a real estate salesperson or advertise or assume to act as a real estate salesperson without a license issued by the Real Estate Commission. The following provides general licensing information for real estate salespersons.
- Applicant must be 18 years of age or older.
- Applicants for a real estate license must possess a good reputation for competency, honesty, truthfulness, financial integrity and fair dealing. Applicants who believe their background may disqualify them from obtaining a real estate license should consider submitting an application PRIOR TO taking a pre-licensing education course. (Please read the application carefully). To obtain a North Dakota real estate license all applicants must submit $8.00 with their application for a credit report.
- Each licensee applying for a real estate salesperson license must complete the Personal Authorization for Criminal History Record Check Request form.
Criminal background check:
Each licensee applying for a real estate salesperson license must complete and submit the Personal Authorization for Criminal History Record Check Request form with the Salesperson License Application.
Once a Salesperson License Application, fees, and the Criminal History Record Check Request is received by the NDREC office a Fingerprinting Kit will be mailed to you, including:
- (2) Fingerprint Cards
- List of Possible Locations Offering Fingerprinting
Upon getting fingerprinted you will need to mail the following back to the NDREC office:
- Completed Fingerprinting cards.
- Check or Money Order for $40.00 made out to the ND Attorney General.
- At least 45 hours of pre-licensing education in courses of study approved by the Commission.
- An applicant for a salesperson's license may take the examination prior to fulfillment of the pre-licensing education requirement however the Commission may not issue a salesperson's license to an applicant until certification of the completion of the pre-licensing education is provided.
- Within 1 year after initial licensure as a salesperson, the salesperson's broker must furnish certification that the salesperson has successfully completed 15 hours of post-licensure hours.
- $100 application fee.
- $100 annual renewal fee (real estate licenses expire December 31st of each year unless renewed).
Effective immediately: To obtain a North Dakota real estate license all applicants must submit $8.00 with their application for a credit report.
- Once approved applicants will be provided a letter of approval containing their test ID number. Once received they may contact AMP to schedule a time to take the examination.
- Applied Measurement Professionals (AMP) administers the license examination at H&R Block locations in Bismarck and Fargo. Further information: www.goAMP.com
Errors & Omissions Insurance:
North Dakota requires all active licensees to carry errors and omission insurance, proof of which must be provided to the Commission office prior to the issuance of a real estate license.
Education, Research & Recovery Fund:
Any person who is licensed for the first time is required to pay $20 into the Education, Research & Recovery Fund at the time of licensing. This fee is paid by the licensee only once.
Pre-Licensing Education Providers:
Classroom Pre-Licensing Course Providers
Online Pre-Licensing Course Providers
AMP Candidate handbook
Applied Measurement Professionals Inc. (AMP) is our license examination provider. Click here to read the AMP Candidate handbook. You may also go to www.goAMP.com and click on "Candidates Get Started" then click on "What to Expect" to view a short video on the testing process.
Rice Insurance Services Company (RISC)
Forms for Residents of North Dakota
Salesperson License Application (Criminal History Record Check Request Included)
Application to Issue Real Estate License
RISC E&O Insurance
E&O Insurance Fact Sheet